Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Leadership Grants
07-30-2011, 05:15 AM
RE: Leadership Grants
As someone who has personally been taking advantage of by this organization I've decided to post my complaint to the BBB in order to help other people save there time and money. This is the letter that I've submitted.

On February 11th, 2011 I applied for a grant with Leadership Grants of Canada. I run a small French preschool and I was looking at applying for grants to potentially expand my preschool. I’m well aware of the probabilities of not being accepted for a grant, however, I strongly feel this organization misleads people into thinking they have a chance at receiving any funding. After applying for this grant, they requested I submit 3 business plans and send them through registered mail. They also requested a lot of personal information such as a copy of a recent credit report as well as financial statements. These documents were not only time consuming, but also quite costly.

I am not some “disgruntled applicant” as they so like to refer to people like myself who have clearly been taking in by scam artist, I am simply seeking an investigation take place on this organization as I do not feel it is legitimate. Not only have I come across certain blogs online stating they too have been taking advantage of, but I also have two personal friends who have applied, only to be rejected at the end of the very lengthy process.

A friend of mine actually requested that she receive her documents back and was told to pick them up at their office where she was greeted in the hallway of the building. I personally do not think this organization even has a location.

I am in the process of trying to get all my documents back as well, just waiting on Leadership Grants’ response. I am strongly hoping that this organization is investigated in order to stop the fraudulent activity that is going. I’m not sure what they do with all of those business proposals, however, I’m quite certain they are profiting from them.

Thank you.
Jennifer
Quote this message in a reply

09-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Leadership Grants is not accredited with BBB as of this date. I was told that their practices are not completely ethical, but they are not exactly fraudulent either.
Find all posts by this user
12-15-2011, 02:14 AM
Interestingly, reading this is your idea. I really do not know if it is legitimate or not. However, I would suggest you read the fine print, before any application. If you donate a lot of money, I will personally meet with the organization.
Find all posts by this user
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Thank you so much you guys - you have just saved my butt! I just got scammed by a company called Canadian Grants Business Center and am fighting for my money back.
Are there grants out there for us wanting to continue our small businesses????
02-18-2012, 07:23 AM
(09-12-2010 02:16 AM)Aida Howard Wrote:  As a new entrepreneur, I am a little naive. Recently, I found a site that offers grant money to small businesses. It is called Leadership Grant. The site looks legitimate, but at the same time, it also looks suspicious. But since it offers grant money, I thought it would not hurt to apply. Does anybody have experience with this leadership grant organization?

I had the same experience other than I invested over 3,000.00 in a business plan as the Leadership Grant organization encouraged you to get a business plan as I am sure they get some kind of kick back even though they state they are a non-profit organization....very disheartening to say the least as I qualified for all the criteria they required but there comment was that I did not have matching funds?? Anyhow this is a total scam and it appears that several individuals have applied more than once as Shelley B encourages this but they can't answer any questions regarding their non-profit organization

02-19-2012, 01:20 AM
(09-12-2010 02:37 AM)thinkingaccountant Wrote:  I have heard of several small business owners who applied for the Leadership Grants and were rejected. They have not paid any monies, but have spent a lot of time submitting and re-submitting their business plans.

I also found a blogpost on the internet by a lady named Katie Gutierrez Painter who is a professional writer and edtior living in Texas. She did some investigation and found the owner of the IP address and the organization. Basically, the IP address belongs to Darren Morgenstern. who is the founder of ashleymadison.com, a dating website for people who want to cheat on their partners. Katie reports that Darren was investigated in 2001 (in Canada) for a domain name scam and was accused for another scam with a home staging teaching company he founded. See http://laredobookstoreblog.blogspot.com/...sweet.html

According to the BBB, the company owned by Sarah Morgenstern was established in April 2010 although their website tells a different story with grants awarded prior to April 2010.

So try adding those facts together - an organization whose founder built a company teaching people how to cheat on their spouse/partner. What do you think he'll do with your business plans? A theory is that the organization may be fishing for information that can be derived from business plans. Imagine how many business plans they would have now collected.

I totally agree as it cost me 3,000.00 plus for a busness plan that the Leadership Grants program recommended as they must get a kick-back even though they claim they are non-profit??? Yes they have thousands of business plans collected that they can use for other customers............it is disgraceful that this agency is allowed to continue on.
02-19-2012, 01:31 AM
(06-26-2011 12:42 PM)jebenoyon Wrote:  Leadership grants engages in deceptive practices borderinf on fraud. It is true they are a not for profit, big deal, anyone can be. The fact that they refer to the registration number as a not profit as though it reflects their credibility is telling...anyone can register as a not for profit funding organization and get such a number...anyone...here;s what they do.....they give a few grand here and there to a few applicants from all the money they make through the ASSOCIATED companies that provide the so called business plans for a fee....these people play on words when they say THEY don't do the business plans...the woman there seems uneduated and her phone was recently disconnected....probably a telemarketer time operating out of a home or something...regardless, what they do is use the lure of a grant to generate leads for business plans...from the money that trickles back to them from the business plans, they approve a grand here and a grand there as a grant....almost like an advertising expense....I have called many of their so called receipents...they could not impeach anything in my plan as I am better educated than them, have won many awards and had the personal cash also....they try to appear like a bank by asking for credit and banking info, in my case they had no reason to turn me down...all this stuff about funding cycle is BS too....so these guys are like those late night frudsters on TV..they are lying through deception....I challenge them to post the amounts of the grants...don't waste you time with these clowns
WELL SAID, THIS ORGANIZATION IS A DEFINITE FRAUD AND THE BP FIRM THEY USE IS A JOKE. I PRACTICALLY GAVE THEM ALL THE INFORMATION AND THEY PUT IT IN A NICE BINDER AND HAD IT LOOK GOOD TO SEND TO THE LEADERSHIP GRANTS OFFICE ATT. SHELLEY B........I GUESS THE ONLY SAVING GRACE IS THAT YOU CAN WRITE THIS EXPENSE OFF TO YOUR BUSINESS AND LEARN A VALUABLE LESSON....HOPEFULLY ALL THIS INFORMATION WILL SAVE SOMEONE ELSE FROM BECOMING A VICTIM OF THE LEADERSHIP GRANTS PROGRAM.
03-09-2012, 01:51 AM
It sure seems that Cdn. Grants Business Center is a scam. Let me know, please, if anyone out there knows where one could receive funding for opening a small business.
03-09-2012, 03:07 AM
IT IS A COMPLETE SCAM!!!! Please read this...

I've been contacted on several occasions by a so-called "Rick O'Neal"... he doesn't have a LinkedIn Profile and has a Persian accent... obviously a fake name..

MY suspicion is that this Insights Marketing and Communications is also owned by this Leadership Grants organization and they scam small business owners into purchasing their services and then leaving them high and dry. I called Insights Marketing and told them to tell me the exact names of OTHER Grant companies that they take referrals from, and he told me RBC (the bank). I asked him, so if I called RBC that they would be familiar with Insights Marketing?? His reply became nervous and started stumbling on his words....

I did a bit of investigating and came up with something interesting.... the Domain Names for BOTH companies were registered by the SAME user/registrar.... suspicious??? I think so.. (SEE ATTACHED LINKS)

http://www.whois.net/whois/leadershipgrants.ca
http://www.whois.net/whois/business-advice.com

Please spread the word that this company is a SCAM before other small businesses become victims...

The more the SCAM links are shared and "clicked" on the higher up on the Google hierarchy the links will show up and the more the next person will be forewarned.

Thanks for enlightening me to this scam... I almost submitted my business plan to them!!!! Confused

Naomi

03-09-2012, 03:56 AM
IT IS A COMPLETE SCAM!!!! Please read this...

I've been contacted on several occasions by a so-called "Rick O'Neal"... he doesn't have a LinkedIn Profile and has a Persian accent... obviously a fake name..

MY suspicion is that this Insights Marketing and Communications is also owned by this Leadership Grants organization and they scam small business owners into purchasing their services and then leaving them high and dry. I called Insights Marketing and told them to tell me the exact names of OTHER Grant companies that they take referrals from, and he told me RBC (the bank). I asked him, so if I called RBC that they would be familiar with Insights Marketing?? His reply became nervous and started stumbling on his words....

I did a bit of investigating and came up with something interesting.... the Domain Names for BOTH companies were registered by the SAME user/registrar.... suspicious??? I think so.. (SEE ATTACHED LINKS)

http://www.whois.net/whois/leadershipgrants.ca
http://www.whois.net/whois/business-advice.com

Please spread the word that this company is a SCAM before other small businesses become victims...

The more the SCAM links are shared and "clicked" on the higher up on the Google hierarchy the links will show up and the more the next person will be forewarned.

Thanks for enlightening me to this scam... I almost submitted my business plan to them!!!! Confused

Naomi